Wednesday 25 July 2012

The Beatles: Across the Universe


Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind
Possessing and caressing me
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes
They call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter shades of live are ringing through my open ears
Inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on, across the universe
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva

References

Uploaded by MusicOrGTFO on Mar 22, 2008

Wikipedia: Across the Universe
"Across the Universe" is a song recorded by The Beatles. It was written by John Lennon, and credited to Lennon–McCartney. The song first appeared on the various artists charity compilation album No One's Gonna Change Our World in December 1969, and later, in different form, on Let It Be, the group's final released album.

Wikipedia: No One's Gonna Change Our World
No One's Gonna Change Our World is a charity album released in the UK on 12 December 1969 for the benefit of the World Wildlife Fund.

The compilation was put together by comedian Spike Milligan. It features liner notes by Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. The album is largely known by fans of The Beatles as the first release of the song "Across the Universe" - the title of the album comes from a line in this song, "Nothing's gonna change my world." It was also the first release of the Hollies song "Wings", one of the last songs they did with Graham Nash in early 1968.

Wikipedia: Let It Be
Let It Be is the 12th and final studio album released by the English rock band The Beatles. It was released on 8 May 1970 by the band's Apple Records label shortly after the group announced their break-up.

Wikipedia: The Beatles
The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960, becoming one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed acts in the history of popular music.

allmusic: The Beatles by Richie Unterberger
So much has been said and written about the Beatles -- and their story is so mythic in its sweep -- that it's difficult to summarize their career without restating clichés that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans. To start with the obvious, they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era, and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century. Moreover, they were among the few artists of any discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did and the most popular at what they did. Relentlessly imaginative and experimental, the Beatles grabbed a hold of the international mass consciousness in 1964 and never let go for the next six years, always staying ahead of the pack in terms of creativity but never losing their ability to communicate their increasingly sophisticated ideas to a mass audience. Their supremacy as rock icons remains unchallenged to this day, decades after their breakup in 1970.

Some personal notes
I grew up with The Beatles and I can define periods of my life by the latest album of the day. I got Long Tall Sally for my 13th birthday in 1963, me falling in love with pop music as I started my teen years and my first forays into the world of social slash sexual relations. I got Rubber Soul at Christmas and the songs still remind me of the holidays, sitting at the window watching the snow fall in the yard while listening to the various tracks.

Back then, at high school, there was always this fight about who was better, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Posterity will decide or but maybe it has already decided. The Rolling Stones are, no doubt about it, an influential rock band but unlike many in popular music, The Beatles transcended rock music.

2012-07-25

Site Map - William Quincy BelleFollow me on Twitter

No comments: